Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Junk Plant Grand Gulf: How to Make the NRC Nervous

Sometime yesterday Grand Gulf came up from 75% to 91% power as reported on the NRC site this morning. These guys have a notorious capacity factor and the staff is becoming increasingly erratic. Seems they are too incompetent to maintain a decent capacity factor and make money. It's a death spiral...

So late yesterday afternoon (eastern time), I tried to make a call to my buddy senior resident inspector. The Grand Gulf inspector's phone wasn't answered. I had to leave a recording. Better yet. The unanswered phone indicated the inspectors were busy with this very troubled licensee's staff and plant. It just verified the tipoff I received. They recently started up, then came down to 75% for a week or more. I wanted to know what equipment broke down as the excuse to call with my question.  

The basically theme of the recording, I summed up the plant's pathetic capacity factor in the last year and reminded him of the unscheduled recent three month shutdown based on the incompetent licensed operators. I ended the phone call with a "over emphasized", "I know you guys are busy".

I left no doubt I was operating under insider information...

You just have to rip apart the dysfunctional "administrative state" and replace it with a functional one.  

Bannon: Trump administration is in unending battle for ‘deconstruction of the administrative state’

No comments: