Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Blaa, Blaa Blaa NRC Chairman



You notice all the print space devoted to bureaucratic issues and Fukushime...they never talk about plant problems. This sounds like the language of a captured regulator.

What is the NRC chairman's perspective on the top five problems at the plant level...this guy got a lot of experience.  

Remarks by NRC Chairman Stephen G. Burns to the 2015 Nuclear Energy Assembly May 13,2015 – Washington, D.C.
 Good afternoon. I appreciate the opportunity to appear before you today at NEI’s annual Nuclear Energy Assembly. I plan to touch on a few topics that I hope will be of interest to the audience here today. I have now served for about four and a half months as Chairman of the NRC, having been designated by President Obama as Chairman on January 1 of this year. As you may know, I had earlier retired from the NRC in 2012 after a nearly 34-year career that culminated in my service as the agency’s General Counsel. To describe the experience as a bit surreal doesn’t do it justice. As a young attorney entering the NRC in 1978, I could never have imagined that someday I would be Chairman of this great organization. Now, returning to the NRC after my three-year hiatus in Paris at the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency, I have the unique opportunity to experience the agency yet again from an entirely new vantage point...

No comments: