Monday, June 25, 2018

Bridge Angel: Brattleboro Bridge Is Grossly Out of Plumb and We All Face Imminent Danger

Reposted from 5/23

Update May 24
Has anyone ever seen the NHDOT inspect the vertical beams that connect the road deck to the big upper arch beams (two)? I have never seen that kind inspection in thirty years.. How do we know all the road deck vertical beams are connected to the big arch beam on the top of bridge? 
This below is the real plumb. You should check three or more beams on the Brattleboro side on your own. I wish I could do this on a bare metal area. I wouldn't dare scape off any paint on this bridge. I am afraid I would knock over the whole damn bridge. 

More worrisome is the new extreme vibrations going on at the bridge. It drastically worsened from a few years ago. It is really bad with a particular set of vehicles on the bridge. You have to spend some time on the bridge to feel its worst extreme vibrations. The worst is with a heavy vehicles. It is surprisingly bad with just one vehicle zipping across the bridge. There is little raised blocks on the pavement across the bridge. I think they were drilled out for a special inspection of what is beneath the bridge and then refilled with concrete. Those blocks again create a surprisingly amount of unneeded vibration. The totality of the vibrations are extremely abnormal even for this kind of bridge and the magnitude is "new". 

In the past, I asked the NHDOT to put vibration detectors on the bridge. It wouldn't be that expensive today. I image you could buy a cell phone capable vibration detector sending information to the NHDOT.    

So why hasn't the poor plumb of the bridge not been included in bridge inspections or vibration and monitored???



***This did not go as intended. You got to get your eyes or camera directly in front of the level bubble. I could make that bubble read anything I wanted by the angle of my camera. I am trying to be honest. On the left of me is cars rushing by me. I am more worried about fumbling my new phone, dropping it...then losing it in the river. I wasn't careful with the angel of the camera. I was nervous. I should have taken more time.  

This below is the Hinsdale side. The downstream side is too my left. The bubble is mostly perfect if you were directly in front of it. Generally, the plumb on this bridge favors the downstream side slightly. This picture represents the whole bridge. But the plumb is almost perfect here.     





The below is the Brattleboro side. I am so disappointed with these picture.s The plumb looks a lot more worst by your own eyes in the right position. My cheap level is a primitive device. The blow picture represents the west half of the bridge. We got a rather terrible plumb here. It is very bad. When did it happen?     





***The tiny Hinsdale bridge is closest to Hinsdale and the much more longer Brattleboro Bridge Is closest to Brattleboro...

Bridge Angel: Impending collapse of the Hinsdale-Brattleboro route 119 bridge!!!  








Bridge Angel: Impending Collapse of the Hinsdale-
Yahoo/Sent








  • Michael Mulligan <steamshovel2002@yahoo.com>
    To:news@reformer.com
    ‎May‎ ‎23 at ‎11‎:‎31‎ ‎AM

    Dear Sir,

    I called about this yesterday.

    Come on, what civilian would ever take a level to inspect a bridge?

    As you come down Canal Street into Brattleboro, looking at the Hinsdale-Brattleboro bridge, the bridge is grossly tilting to the south. You can see the tilt with your eyes. It is grossly out of plumb. Get your level out and measure it yourself. The out of plumb gets massively worst from the Hinsdale side to the Brattleboro side. I think it is going to tip over?

    The little Hinsdale bridge is perfectly plumb all across the bridge. Why the difference??? 

    Mike Mulligan (aka bridge angel)
    Hinsdale, NH

No comments: