Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Terrifying New Iron Beam Crack On The Route 119 Brattleboro Bridge.  

10/26 update
I called the NHDOT office this morning. Told the lady to tell Doug to look at my blog. I got pictures of the crack there.  
***I had a errand in Brattleboro. So I parked my car in dirt parking area in NH. I love to walk across, inspect and assess the bridge just for fun. I protested to build the new bridge for three years. I had my signs up all over the place on the New Hampshire side. I was a real pest over this. While protesting, I kicked a wooden plank on the walkway and noticed it moving. I discovered the plank screws had all corroded. Nothing was attaching the wooden planks to the bridge and I considered it dangerous. I notified the NHDOT and Hinsdale police. They seemed to ignore my concerns. I barricaded both
???
Seeing how I was convicted with damaging the same bridge a few years ago, I bet you some people are thinking what is that scheming Mike Mulligan up too? Did he create the crack in the bridge to get even with the police, courts and system? Did he damage the bridge again?  Everyone already thinks I am crazy.    

ends of the walkway for safety. Then pulled up about twenty planks up and threw them overboard into the river. I called the police within a hour...told them what I did. The police charged me with one felony, two big class A misdemeanors and littering with my signs. I plead guilty to a class C misdemeanor. I got fined about $1500 and I was prohibited from being anywhere near the bridge for
I took pictures up and down the bridge in the area two or three years ago. I took pictures of all the big flaws in the bridge. There was no cavernous iron beam crack back there then. I am absolutely positive of it. I concede it either could be an old crack or a new crack. The crack might not have been detectable by eyesight from a distance. But what is undisputable is the gigantic gape of the edges of the gape now. It today seems like the edges of the gape aren’t now paralleled to each other. The edges of the crack are pulling apart and the outer beam is twisting as it goes.       
a year. Two hundred and sixty three days later, the NHDOT did about a $30,000 walkway wooden plank replacement job. It was all a attention getting tactic by me to build a replacement bridge. About a year after of  my conviction, the legislators funded a $ 40 million dollar new bridge. This now rickety and dangerous bridge was built in the early 1920s. They are beginning to dig dirt in 2017 for the new bridge. Many think I energized the local population in order for them to demand this bridge replacement. I wish they would name the new bridge the "Mike Mulligan" memorial bridge :)

I inspected this bridge thoroughly, completely pictured up this disgusting bridge and placed them on my blog. You can do a goggle search on Mike Mulligan, Hinsdale NH...see the media articles on

  • I first called the "Brattleboro Reformer" and explained what I'd seen. They emediately said we'll send a photographer. Met them at the bridge in about 10 minute.

  • I next called the local NHDOT. They referred me to the main NHDOT headquarter's maintenance department. I assume where the NHDOT bridge inspection department is located. The lady made a electronic report with the bridge number...We went over the location three times making absolutely we got the right bridge and location. Told her the "Brattleboro Reformer" took pictures and if you call them they might send you their pictures.  

my arrest and the NHDOT replacing the wooden planks. I use to paraded around bridge in a angel get-up and people called me the "bridge angel guy". The iron beam crack is very new. The NHDOT did a thorough bridge inspections this early summer. Did they miss the crack in the inspection or did it occur after the inspection? I consider the terribly underfunded NHDOT as corrupt as hell and in the bridge inspection falsification game based on insufficient funding...

My cell phone camera doesn't do justice to this dangerous crack. This is a critical bridge. It means one iron beam snaps, then the whole bridge can collapse. It is a very poorly engineered bridge in today's eyes. New bridges are designed to allow one or more beams to snap and the rest of the bridge iron beams safely picks up the load. It is so sick as a society. We got 80,000 pounds or more tractor trailers pounding over this 1921 bridge and the bridge in held together by rivets. Remember the Titanic...


Here below is a rather close-up of the new crack. It looks like a fatigue crack from the flexing of the bridge. A fatigue crack in itself is not a big deal. What frightens the hell out of me is the tremendous forces that are separating apart both sides of cracked and disconnected iron beam. I worry about there being much more dangerous unseen damage below the roadbed causing this broken iron beam. I would prohibit any traffic on this bridge until a thorough inspection is completed and evaluated.


It is about in the middle of the bridge. I am trying to give you a clue where the cracked beam is in the below. If you follow down to below the wooden walkway planks you will fine it.


About ten more feet towards the Brattleboro side is where the crack is from the white spray painted spot. 

(new)In 2014 I marked this area with the white spray paint because of the severe corrosion under the road bed. Throughout my protest people would ask me to show them my examples of the worst corrosion. In the beginning, I would have to hunt back and forth to find the spots. Eventually I marked my examples with this white spray paint. Look directly below this white spot for my example. So today's cracked bridge bracing is about 10 feet more toward the Brattleboro side.      


Somebody even numbered the area.


No comments: