Friday, September 11, 2015

Arson At Vermont Yankee Corp Office In 2011

The FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force interviewed me at the Hinsdale police department over "so called" VY internet terroristic issues in 2009. I am certain in 2011 they looked me over for this Arson case. I expected another interview...they never called me in 2011. Of course I never set the fire. I have too much to lose if caught...
What do you think about this in the post Edward Snowden era?

"Big picture: the FBI never misused any investigative information around this and they were discrete with interacting with me.

Course, the first FBI meeting is always the worst…
 
They wouldn’t even tell me how I got to their attention…national security issues.

They wouldn’t even tell me what I wrote wrong in the beginning…I had to really push them to throw me a sentence or paragraph of my offending writing. I asked for a written copy of my words…said,
 “we can’t give you anything written”.

Looking in hindsight, it is a life event you will never forget…but it ended being harmless. I have big issues with this as it is a price we pay to live in the greatest nation on the planet.

But it is utterly shocking being in the Hinsdale police department‘s upstairs meeting room with two special agents of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force...with them directly asking me why I was making “terroristic threats” on the internet.
They made me promise I would never say those "three bad words" together in a paragraph ever again on the internet. Or they would come right back to Hinsdale for another talk. By the way, in the beginning, they said they had enough evidence to go to a judge and get me arrested.    

The big picture: it was kind of comforting for me the Feds were paying attention to so called “terrorism related” issues around a nuclear plant and it seemed the bar of their interest was set pretty low."

I just wish it wasn’t related to me!
Sounds like a nut case? I don't think he is intelligent enough to set the VY corp fire and get away without getting caught?  

32-year-old man faces arson charge in 2011 fire at VY offices Ordered to appear in court at a later date

By Domenic Poli
dpoli@reformer.com
Posted:   09/11/2015 11:48:05 AM ED | Updated:   a

BRATTLEBORO >> A Montpelier man has been charged in connection with a fire that damaged Vermont Yankee's corporate offices in Brattleboro in September 2011. 
Anthony M. Gotavaskas, 32, is scheduled to appear in Windham Superior Court's Criminal Division at a later date to answer to a charge of arson, according to the Brattleboro Police Department. 

Police called this is an ongoing investigation. Additional charges may be pending against Gotavaskas, according to police. 
Sources told the Reformer that Gotavaskas walked into the Burlington Police Station on Wednesday and admitted to the arson, as well as other acts of vandalism in Brattleboro, in 2011. 
On Thursday, Det. Lt. Michael Carrier and Brattleboro Fire Department Fire Investigator Lenny Howard traveled to Burlington and interviewed Gotavaskas. 
On Sept. 20, 2011, fire alarms at Vermont Yankee's corporate offices on Old Ferry Road sounded at about 3:03 a.m. The building's sprinkler system activated, containing the fire until members of the Brattleboro Fire Department arrived. Resources from other area fire departments were called in to assist. 
The three-story building housed the nuclear plant's communication equipment, its public relations office and emergency response center. Additional resources were brought in to assist in the investigation to include but not limited to the Vermont State Police Fire Investigation Unit, FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force, and the Fire and Explosion Investigation Section of the Massachusetts State Police, according to the press release. 
Fire damage was minor, but the building sustained moderate water and smoke, Brattleboro Fire Chief Michael Bucossi said at the time. 
One source familiar with the investigation says Gotavaskas lived in the Brattleboro area at the time of the fire. 
According to a letter from Susan Shephard, a woman who identified herself as Gotavaskas' mother, submitted to the Vermont Senate Health and Welfare Committee on February 11, 2014, her son has mental health issues. She wrote to the Legislature to advocate for her son and lobby for the defeat of a bill proposing several changes to the procedures for involuntary treatment and medication, including substituting a mandatory preliminary hearing for a voluntary one and creating an expedited application for involuntary treatment. 
"I am his mother and I have watched him struggle with the mental health system since he was labeled ADHD at age 2. I don't think the drugs have been helpful to him," Shephard wrote. "I have seen them dull his mind and harm his physical health. I have seen him become paranoid from taking the drugs. 
"There are so many avenues to get into Vermont's mental health system and too few to get out of it. I want my son back, out of the system and off the drugs," she added. "I want him living the life he used to lead before this revolving door of involuntary commitment and forced drugging, which has become a permanent imposition. Speeding it up is not a solution at all. His civil rights need to be protected. I want him to have more choices, not less." 
In addtion, Gotavaskas is listed as one of two defendants in a case before the Vermont Supreme Court. Windham County Deputy State's Attorney David Gartenstein said the issue is to what extent the report of prepared by the court-ordered forensic psychiatrist about a defendant's competency is public record. Gartenstein said Gotavaskas was charged in 2013 with burglary into an occupied dwelling, operating a motor vehicle without operator's consent, and providing false information to a law enforcement officer. Gartenstein said the forensic psychiatrist's report was to a limited extent admitted into the record. He told the Reformer that Gotavaskas was found not competent to stand trial.
Contact Domenic Poli at 802-254-2311, ext. 277.

No comments: