Thursday, October 25, 2012

Communication about Fort Calhoun to the NRC

...It is interesting I got a, after I sent my Oyster Creek superstorm e-mail to the NRC :
""MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com" Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following ...Message expired for domain nrc.gov. Remote host said: 452 Too many recipients received this hour [RCPT_TO]"
I assumed my e-mail didn't ever get to the NRC. So this NRC phone call to me today about Oyster Creek hurricane Sandy says my e-mail did get past this yahoo DAEMON notification. I ask the inspector what does this DAEMON thing mean when I send e-mail to the NRC, he seemed to be aware people were getting it, he told me to just send it again.

I am still confused about the meaning of the MAILER-DAEMON notification after I send into the NRC ...but the indication is my stuff is still getting into the agency.
...So a utility get the best gold plate consigliore service from the NRC, while the public get cheap Wal-Mart little trained and overwhelmed opa people...disconnect from the operation of the plants.
Yea, but I got a lot of access from the NRC officials. Still I don't have access to foundational raw information.


...Is this anything?
Fort Calhoun on their red finding: "Design engineers had limited knowledge of GE AKD-5 switch gear which resulted in over-reliance on vendor knowledge and skill. 
VY with their SRV air actuator seals that failed "Entergy Engineering staff overly relied upon the vendor's recommendation and did not conduct an appropriate equivalency review on their own."  
...So I bumped into a ongoing NRC investigation. And the Region didn't have the professionalism and decently to say it is under investigation. We don’t know how seriously they took the environmental qualification problem in the containment until I showed up. With the link to the Popperville Town Hall I am trying to draw their attention to my Peach Bottom problem on the NRC, PB and VY on not calling containment components a 10 CFR 50.73(a)(2)(v)(D): "Any event or condition that could have prevented the fulfillment of the safety function of structures or systems that are needed to mitigate the consequences of an accident. Including wiring insulation and other plastic or rubber like material of the actuator or components."

I think they thought I had inside information and they were trying to play me for it.

I am tired with the NRC saying in a almost infinite and prolong excuse with plant’s like Fort Calhoun, this is under a investigation. 
From: Michael Mulligan
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 6:17 PM To:
OPA4 Resource Subject: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun Mr Drinks,
The Popperville Town Hall 
A follow up to my phone call messages I recorded on OCT 5... 
You and me have tangled over at Region III or earlier at Region I... 
Like I said, I could throw 2.206s at region IV if I wanted to... 
So I wanted to talk to the Fort Calhoun inspector about the environmentally unqualified containment valve actuators. Region IV is a mess with Fort Calhoun and San Onofre....the investigation with intimation by the region IV staff with their boss. You know, Brown Ferry, Palisades, VY and Peach Bottom, the agency almost allows me to talk at will with their senior staffs and the resident inspectors. I just call up the resident inspector for a talk and it happens. I spend a lot of time criticizing the agency. I tell everyone it is absolutely amazing the contact time the agency allows me with resident inspector programs. I make a big deal how good these inspectors are to the one. 
So I call up the Calhoun inspector...he tells me he is not busy. I explain the LER and the reason why. He says he can't remember the LER...I tell him all the Region I, II and III inspectors almost got a photographic memory to the one. The Peach Bottom resident really on a cold call was very familiar the Fort Calhoun actuator LER. I am always astonished with the professionalism with the northeastern residents...how they keep up with the issues and their ability to cold talk with me. The VY resident knew my name, most of them others too...he blew my socks off with the detailed knowledge he had about the service water system, Diesel Generator and Loss of off-site power accident procedure issues. We had a hour conversation. My task for VY politically that day by my handlers was a test to see just how accessible the VY residents were to the community. They got an A plus from me that day. I talked to the Peach Bottom senior resident about their SRV issue just days ago for 45 minutes with a cold call. 
I have big issues with Peach Bottom, Browns Ferry, VY, Palisades and how the agency regulates these guys. What I am astonished with is the access the little guy has with the resident program in region I, II and III. They have spoiled the hell out of me. At some level I respect the hell out of them for this even in my disagreements. So the Fort Calhoun Resident blew me off with "I am unfamiliar with a LER in my plant"...you have to call Lara Uselding to get me to talk. Lara was bemused why the inspector would make me call her. She questioned me why somebody from NH would call Region IV. She told me to throw her a e-mail with what I wanted...I told her I am sick and tired of the decency of women with not giving me a call back when I call. I felt she again was going to throw me in the trash can. 
I massively overloaded her in technical talk in one minute and she admitted this sounded like technical talk way above her head. I left a message on her phone the day before... and she couldn't even call me back in a timely manner. She told me she is headed for another plane ride, I told her I heard that often from you kind of guys...region IV is overloaded and overwhelm with their troubles. 
The thing I would do is retire or lay off Dricks...never mind wipe out all the region IV staff through firings, transfers or retirements because they don't know how to communicate with the good public... 
Thanks,Mike Mulligan 
Hinsdale, NH 
16033368320
So I sent e-mails and left messages on their phone...I was irked that Lara blew off my first phone message. This is the signal Region IV is going to blow me off.
From: OPA4 Resource
To: 'Michael Mulligan'
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:40 PM 
Subject: RE: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun
Thank you Mr. Mulligan for your email. Again, feel free to email me your technical questions and we can get you the information you need.

Lara Uselding
 
So what the heck, I will throw them some of my questions.
From: Michael Mulligan
To: OPA4 Resource
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:05 PM
 
Subject: Re: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun 
Was the whole actuator unqualified to be in the containment besides these nitrile parts...370 degrees? What are the licensing temperature requirements of these actuators..err, the containments, both on a PWR and BWR? What did Fort Calhoun and the manufacturer state as the temperature qualification of these actuators? 
How does a PWR depressurized for RHR...does any of the PWR depressurization associated valves and actuators have nitrile problem? 
Could you explain the offending nitrile components more completely...it is a gasket, o-ring or seal? What is the difference between nitrile, buna or buna-n material? 
How long was this nitrile materials installed in containment in LER 2012-017? I hope this isn't a rather new install in the last few years and then it was discovered. Is it like Vermont Yankee's buna-n SRV actuator seal and type 1 or type II air actuators, like in their LERs and inspection reports? 
Who was the manufacturer?  
Any more environmentally unqualified components in the Fort Calhoun's containment...how big of a generic issue is this? 
I wish you would put an NRC name on the response to me who is responsible for writing the e-mail, not like this one.
Why didn't the NRC enforce containment accident maximum temperature requirements on these components?
I am saying to the NRC, I think unqualified components and parts in containments is a national problem. 
From: Michael Mulligan
To: "allegation@nrc.gov"
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 12:29 PM
  
Subject: 2.206 on Not Qualified Components In Containment With VY and Peach Bottom Oct 13, 2012
R. William Borchardt
Executive Director for Operations
US Nuclear Regulatory Commission Washington, DC 20555-0001 
Dear Mr. Borchardt, 
(Jan 24, 2012) Request an Emergency Peach Bottom nuclear plants 2 and 3 shutdown to replace all safety relief valves pneumatic actuators buna-n seals with nylon sealsor other high quality and durable materials designed and tested for elevated temperature." So this is a renewed requested based on10 CFR 50.73(a)(2)(v)(D) concern. 
In other words, I am requesting all SRV seal materials be like vitol. They be able to withstand all containment accident conditions and temperatures (340/370 degrees F) . Not only is the buna-n seal material not qualified for worst accident temperature, but the whole actuator won't meet10 CFR 50.73(a)(2)(v)(D) including wiring insulation or any other buna or nitrile based elastomers (rubber or plastic) gaskets or seal material. Any material that won’t stand up to the accident temperatures or conditions.
The "FCS branch" threw me?
 From: OPA4 Resource
To: 'Michael Mulligan'
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 11:30 AM
 
Subject: RE: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun
Thank you for your email and questions. The FCS branch will take a look and we will get back to you.
The FCS (Fort Calhoun Station) is such a big problem in the NRC, they made it a whole NRC branch out of it.  
From: Michael Mulligan
To: OPA4 Resource  Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 1:55 PM
 
Subject: Re: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun  
What is the FSC branch?
I know its under a serious investigation.
From: Michael Mulligan
To: OPA4 Resource
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:53 AM Subject: Re: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun 
 
Is this in any investigation process like Enforcement or the OIG going on with problems inside containment?I will tell you what, it sounds like fraud with the containment accident analysis of record for Main Steam Line Break MSLB). Were they gaming nuclear accident analysis and "modeling" (San Onophre)to fit in environmentally unqualified containment components like the safety actuator or others?
What drove Fort Calhoun into changing the MSLB accident in containment...peak temperature.Did they have a recent power uprate or were they heading towards a power uprate...Mike
It's cooking now i think.

She made a commitment to call me in this sentence, to call me to negotiate a time for the call with the branch: "Please let me know the best number to contact you at so that I can call to set this up" And she didn't keep this commitment without a explanation. 

I hate me not being able to keep a prior stated commitment and I hate people doing the same to me. I can't trust any of her communications and commitments now...Region IV is a black hole as far as communications integrity. If I failed to meet a comment I try to hit people with a messages on explanations before I break my promise...and i profusely apologize after I screw up. She is just making promises she can't keep and she has a habit of forgetting what she wrote in past e-mails.

And if Lara and me would have had that conversation, I would have kissed her ass trying to show her I am a decent person, to show her so I would be professional to the branch chief.

From: OPA4 Resource
To: 'Michael Mulligan'
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 1:18 PM
 
Subject: RE: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun Fort Calhoun Station
The branch chief can make some time to address your questions. Please let me know the best number to contact you at so that I can call to set this up.
Lara Uselding
I am beginning to kiss her ass...to make up for being a little rude to her in the beginning as she was trying to stiff arm me over talking to the FCS resident inspector.
From: Michael Mulligan
To: OPA4 Resource
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 1:28 PM
 
Subject: Re: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun 
 Good job. I will be out this afternoon...tomorrow morning is a good time or whenever convenient.
Mike Mulligan
 
1-603-336-8320
 So i interpret this below e-mail as she must have talked to the branch chief...I got three choices, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. I figure Wednesday is what the branch chief is mostly likely looking for.
I got a 2.206 on Wednesday and i suspect she knows it...I suspect the NRC could be trying to throw me off my stride for Wednesday for Palisades.

I am thinking she is overloaded and overwhelmed ..she and the branch chief are passing like ships in the night with no or miss-communication. I am getting that from her fractured and disconnected communication commitments style.
From: OPA4 Resource
To: 'Michael Mulligan'
Cc: "Uselding, Lara"
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 6:32 PM
 
Subject: RE: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun
I will need to know your availability Wednesday or later this week. I will then coordinate with the Branch Chief and get back to you.Lara
So i am honest and up front with my needs...I make my commitment at being on the phone anytime on Thursday or Friday bar no excuses with this official. 

If she would told me at any time the only available time of the branch chief is on Wednesday I would have taken it. Right this is Monday and she has inferred she has talked to the branch chief many times about talking possibilities. I don't think Lara can make any committments to anyone.

From: Michael Mulligan
To: OPA4 Resource
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 8:15 PM
 
Subject: Re: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun 
 Hmm, so I got a 2.206 from 3 to 4 pm on this Wednesday for Palisades....I'll be studying for that all day. Could be available shortly after 4 pm ESDT?Just name the time on this Thursday or Friday and I will be on the phone to you.Mike
Here in the below its two days later. It is Wednesday and she is inferring she hasn't even got in touch with the branch chief yet. Maybe the branch chief is disrespecting Lara, as he doesn't really want to talk with me so he is not getting back to Lara. Maybe they all know this disconnected, benzene and fractured...missed commitments and promised schedules just drives me crazy. It is 10:30 am and she knows my 2.206 is at 3 pm this day...and she knows I don't like to be disrupted before the 2.206. So were they trying to disrupt my Palisade presentation.
From: OPA4 Resource
To: 'Michael Mulligan' ; "Uselding, Lara"
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:25 AM
 
Subject: RE: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun
I will need to first check timing with the Branch Chief. I ask that you be respectful. You were not so to me or our Resident Inspector and I will not tolerate rudeness to our staff. So if you will be considerate and respectful then I will move forward on setting up a brief call to get you answers to your questions. If during the call you can’t play fair then I will end the call.Lara Uselding
I am still kissing her ass in the below. I telling her if she and the chief begin to irk me, I will professionally end the conversation without being disrespectful. I am signaling to them I won't let anyone intimidate me over any nuclear safety problem. I think on the whole, the NRC is trying to intimidate me with this benzene style of public communication and it is a attempt to hold the NRC unaccountable to not regulating Fort Calhoun according to the regulations for decades.The NRC gave Fort Calhoun permission to lie to them and the NRC intentionally over decades didn't hold Fort Calhoun to federal oversight and regulations.
From: Michael Mulligan
To: OPA4 Resource
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:59 AM
 
Subject: Re: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun  
I got tons of these e-mails... this is over the contentious Palisades plant. I was in a phone call with John and the two resident inspectors for an hour. I get along very well with all the Vermont Yankee and Peach Bottom resident inspectors and higher NRC officials. Call them to see if I am a good guy. I generally can call these guys off the cuff not like your up tight region. What are you hiding.
 I believe Giessner is a branch chief in Region III:  
From: "Giessner, John" <John.Giessner@nrc.gov>
To: "steamshovel2002@yahoo.com"
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:30 PM
Subject: 12 Sep call in Palisades safety culture
Mike, thanks for your insights. I thought the call went well!
Jack
The phone line for call-in (12 September 6PM, EDT)
Phone: 800-621-9524
Passcode: 5591733
I am just saying I will end the call professionally if you guys are playing games with me. From my vantage point in the northeast, the resident inspectors and the NRC officials above them are a cut above the rest of us. 
So why is your region different than these guys? 
Another good question is, does the FCS LOCA DBA bound the MSL break accident or does the MSLB accident bound the LOCA?
It sounds like 3:50 pm she finally got in touch with the branch chief. I had no scheduling conflicts...I was just communicating my wishes and needs. It sounds like she just is disconnected for her past communication and commitments to me throughout this email string. To infer I have a scheduling conflict is beyond unprofessional and disrespectful. I made a commitment to be at the Palisades 2.206 between 3 and 4 pm Wednesday
From: "Uselding, Lara"
To: "steamshovel2002@yahoo.com"
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:50 PM
 
Subject: Fort Calhoun Mr. Mulligan: 
It is not going to work to have a call this week or next due to schedule conflicts you mentioned on your end and here. Inspections continue at the plant and staff are busy overseeing Fort Calhoun. There are several ongoing inspection activities associated with environmental qualifications, equipment qualifications, and corrective actions which are some of the areas you asked about. As you know, they can’t provide preliminary information. You are welcome to view the next Commission meeting on Oct. 30 or attend the upcoming meetings in Nebraska. See Fort Calhoun special oversight page for updates: http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/fcs/special-oversight.htmlBottom line, the NRC will not permit FCS to restart until inspectors and staff verify it is safe to do so.
The above rejection e-mail was a out of sequence reply to this e-mail below. Was this a NRC signal.


From: Michael Mulligan [mailto:steamshovel2002@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:54 AM
To: OPA4 Resource
Subject: Re: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:54 AMTo: OPA4 ResourceSubject: Re: Lara Uselding and Fort Calhoun 
http://steamshovel2002.blogspot.com/ 
Is this in any investigation process like Enforcement or the OIG going on with problems inside containment? 
I will tell you what, it sounds like fraud with the containment accident analysis of record for Main Steam Line Break MSLB). Were they gaming nuclear accident analysis and "modeling" (San Onophre)to fit in environmentally unqualified containment components like the safety actuator or others?

What drove Fort Calhoun into changing the MSLB accident in containment...peak temperature. 
Did they have a recent power uprate or were they heading towards a power uprate...
No doubt, I am irked!
From: Michael Mulligan
To: "Uselding, Lara" >
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:17 PM
 
Subject: Re: Fort Calhoun  
Yea, I get it, I will never trust you and region IV on anything that is said.Good public relation's job. 
Mike

No comments: