Saturday, January 01, 2005

Comments made to my blog

Friends,
As you can imagine I find some of the publics’ comments on my blog as being highly offensive. I’ll tell you the truth, I am desperately trying to figure out how to delete these offensive comments. I had a few back and fourths with technical support –I can’t find the trash can on the comment post page to click on, although tech support says it is there. I am still working on trying to find the trash can and then using the delete button. Does anyone know how to delete comments -specific ones?

I can see where this is going. I am going to have to come up with a policy on making comments to my blog. I first though I would not allow anyone to make anonymous comments –but then thought what if somebody wanted to make an anonymous safety concern know to us. So now being anonymous is OK. Anyway I am thinking about what I am going to do with making offensive comments.

But then I think that you seeing and making judgments on offensive comments may be extraordinarily valuable. Sometimes when I am reading an offensive comment, especially when it’s about me, when the message has a ring of truth about me, if I get past the need to delete the message –then I begin wondering why the message bothers me –or hurts me. Pondering why a question hurts me, or when an event bothers me, has become so helpful to me. Many times my ego is involved in the hurt and I am confronting some sort of shield in me, and it’s not at all good for my effectiveness.

So when I now feel hurt or when I see a disagreeable event around me, instead of pulling in, I see it as a signal to begin paying attention, to stick with the pain until I understand why it pains me. Being hurt is good! So when I feel hurt, I think about it a lot, I get to the point that this feeling of hurt is an exaggerated feeling in me, the instinctual reaction to the feelings of hurt has become extremely dysfunctional to my greater goals of what I am trying to do. I kind of transform the feeling of being hurt into the feeling of empathy, I kind of empathize with my exaggerated feelings in me –and I can even empathize better with the message maker because it doesn’t hurt me a much as it did in the past.

Most people just count to 10 without all the thinking as me –and it works just a well as my way of doing things.

So that would be my sole justification of not deleting a disturbing message. Though many time I can't get past the instinctual feels and I just hit the delete button -but you don't grow this way.

Please hurt me some more!

Thanks,
mike mulligan
Hinsdale, NH

No comments: